What’s the matter?
In the morning Mr Patel likes a cup coffee to help him wake up. He always does the same 7 things.
- He fills the kettle with water
- He turns the kettle on
- He waits for the water to boil
- He takes some ice out of the freezer and places it in glass of cold water
- He pours hot water into his mug
- He adds a tea spoon of instant coffee
- He sniffs the vapour coming off the mug and enjoys the smell
To complete his badge you must explain what is happening at each stage of this process using what you have learnt about particles and physical changes.
You must do all of the following:
- Give examples of a solid, liquid and a gas from the story about Mr Patel
- Describe the properties of solids, liquids and gases
- Explain how the particles behave in solids, liquids and gases
- Describe what happens to the particles in solids, liquids and gases when they get hot. You must use the terms energy and inter-molecular forces.
- Give examples of any changes of state you note in the story
- Describe what happens to the particles during these changes
- Explain what happens to the particles of a solid when it dissolves.
You must correctly use all of these words:
- conservation of mass
- forces between particles
- moving randomly
- states of matter
Presenting your ideas
- You may, of course add diagrams to show what is happening to the particles at each stage of the process.
- You may make a presentation, write an essay or create a poster.