You can unlock this badge by clearly identifying all the Stage 2 features of a sentence from a given text. You must do this for three different sentences and then explain how the language in these sentences works to enhance meaning.
This badge can be achieved up to three times.
There must be at least one compound & one complex sentence.
You may submit your work in a presentational or written mode.
Requirements – you must clearly label the following features
- Word classes (Noun, Verb, Pronoun, Adjective, Adverb, Preposition, Conjunction, Articles)
- Punctuation (. , ? : ! “ “ ‘ ; – )
- Phrases (Noun Phrase, Verb Phrase, Adjectival Phrase, Adverbial Phrase, Prepositional Phrase)
- Subject, Predicate & Object
- Subordinate and Relative Clauses
- The function of your sentence (Declarative, Interrogative, Imperative, Exclamatory)
- Your explanation of the sentence must be logical in relation to your parsing
- You must explain what you think the purpose of the sentence might be and how meaning is enhanced by the use of language
- All word classes must be correct within the context of the given sentences
- You may use a dictionary to help you
- N.B. a Dictionary does not necessarily give the correct class in the context. For example “Google” can be either a noun or a verb depending on context