Poetry- Write a Sonnet
To unlock this achievement you must submit a poem that adheres to the poetic form of a Petrarchan sonnet.
Form (English Sonnet)
- The poem must have 14 lines, divided into an octave and a sestet.
- The poem must convey feelings of love and/or passion.
- The poem must use an a-b-a-b, c-d-c-d, e-f-e-f, g-g rhyme scheme.
- The poem must be written using an iambic pentameter.
- Stanzas are used to clearly delineate ideas
- The octave must state a problem, ask a question, or express an emotional tension.
- The sestet must resolve the problem, answer the question, or relieve the tension.
- The poem uses symbolic imagery to communicate its ideas to the reader.
- The poem uses appropriate language features to communicate emotion to the reader.
- Spelling is accurate in most words with few lapses, even in uncommon language
- Punctuation features are used consistently and correctly and in some instances are used for creative effect
Check to see when you will gain opportunities to unlock this achievement in your class.